The clinical committees have established a basket of services in each field, based on the capacity to provide services and the priority needs of theMcGill population while maintaining the hierarchy of services. These services are regularly reassessed according to the demand and the capacity to supply.
Eligibility criteria and priorities have been set up for targeted specialized services so that the requesting site can clarify the relevance and urgency of the request. Moreover, in order to facilitate teleconsultation proceedings, the clinical teams have:
- defined the roles and responsibilities as well as the human resource and technological prerequisites;
- developed reference documents to be made available to users;
- collaborated with the technology team for the development of the electronic clinical consultation request, also known as the web-based clinical request.
Points to remember:
- At present, this provision of services only covers the elective mode.
- The patient’s signature on the consent form regarding the use of telehealth is required at all times and this responsibility lies with the requesting site – details available in procedure 2.1 in the text version of the policies and procedures.
- Record keeping in both the sites must comply with the Quebec College of Physicians’ guidelines on telehealth record keeping and the Act respecting health services and social services (Article 108.2, Para. 2). Traceability of the teleconsultation to the patient’s records is mandatory – details available in procedure 6.1 in the text version of the policies and procedures.The deployment of telehealth services takes place in accordance with the hierarchy of services and preexisting service corridors.
- The responsibility for patient management lies with the requesting physician except in certain situations that should be specified when implementing the service.
- An inter-institutional agreement must be established between partner institutions as required by the Act respecting health services and social services () – details available in procedure 6.1 in the text version of the policies and procedures.